It’s a unique relationship, sometimes Sweet and then sour 😉 Don’t worry we are not talking about any link-up between actors. This relationship is about Bollywood Stars and Television. You might agree that Bollywood stars have given a helping hand to the TV industry in widening its horizons. But at the end of the day Television has been a major platform that the Bollywood Stars are using, some are successful while some have failed at the Box… oops… TV Office 😉 Television was considered as an second innings for the actors and was considered to be the home for retired actors only. But times have changed. Many of the super hit, upcoming actors and actresses have joined that bandwagon and have taken up television shows.
iDubba is on a journey to find out the stars that have been successful / not so successful on television :
– Television will be incomplete if we don’t talk about Amitabh Bachchan 🙂 He made his debut on television in 2000 with Kaun Banega Crorepati. Since then, every show he has graced has turned out to be a super hit. Those shows include Kaun Banega Crorepati, Kaun Banega Crorepati Dvitiya, Bigg Boss Season 3, KBC season 4 and 5
– Talking about KBC, who can forget Shah Rukh Khan 🙂 But he had made his TV Debut way long back in 1988 with “Fauji“. He went on to appear in other television serial, such as Aziz Mirza’s Circus in 1989, which depicted the life of circus performers. And then there was no looking back, the television star was a movie star. But his real calling in television came when Amitabh Bachchan stepped down from KBC in 2007 and SRK took over. The initial TRPs of SRK’s KBC were promising but interest slowly started dipping. Then came the show Kya Aap Paanchvi Paas Se Tez Hain? Well again, initial TRPs of the show were promising but the show and it never managed to go past its first season. King Khan did manage to return to hosting a reality TV with Zor Ka Jhatka but did not impress much
– Done with one Khan… Now lets get back to Mr Dabangg 🙂 Salman Khan did make his TV debut in 2008 with Dus Ka Dum. As they say if Salman is hosting a reality TV show, it’s bound to garner high TRPs. And this was true for both the shows – Dus Ka Dum and Bigg Boss Season 4
– Now its time to focus our attention on the Dancing King of Bollywood 🙂 Yes you guessed it right – Hrithik Roshan. He made his TV debut with Just Dance in 2011. Soon after this was announced, there were reports in the media about Hrithik signing on for a sum of Rs 2 crore per episode. Since then, the show’s opened to moderate success.
– Time for some action 🙂 Yes we have Mr Khiladi next in line. Yes Akshay Kumar did make his TV Debut 2008 with Khatron Ke Khiladi. He went on to host the 2nd season of Khatron Ke Khiladi too. Reportedly, the TRPs of both seasons were fantastic. However he was absent in the 3rd season as Priyanka Chopra was the new host. But soon the TRP’s were not in favor of Miss Chopra and hence Akshay had to return in the 4th Season of Khatron Ke Khiladi. Well he did not stop there and was soon present in every household ie Kitchen 🙂 Yes he hosted the first Masterchef of India, a show based on cooking. His Master Chef India show did receive moderate success
– And finally this post cannot be complete without talking about Mr Perfectionist 🙂 Mr Aamir Khan. He is all set to make his Television Debut with the show “Satyamev Jayate – The Truth Alone Prevails“. The talk show will tell stories of real people across India” You can read more about his show over here – Will “Satyamev Jayate” bring about change in the Indian Television scenario?
If you note carefully, there would be around 10 or 12 well-known actors doing shows on TV in one year. And most Bollywood actors come as either anchors or judges. So there is a good presence of our Bollywood stars on Television. Do let us know which is your favorite star that you would like to see on Television. and also it would be interesting to know if you think that this is a healthy trend.
Happy Viewing 🙂