Walk of Fame…Yes the moment we here this all we think is “Hollywood”. The Hollywood Walk of Fame consists of more than 2,400 five-pointed terrazzo and brass stars embedded in the sidewalks along fifteen blocks of Hollywood Boulevard and three blocks of Vine Street in Hollywood, California. It is a popular tourist destination, with a reported 10 million visitors in 2003.
Following are some of the facts that might make you wonder “Can Bollywood have its own Walk of Fame?”:
– The Walk of Fame runs 1.3 miles (2.1 km) east to west on Hollywood Boulevard from North Gower Street to North La Brea Avenue
– As of January 23, 2012 the Walk consists of 2,458 stars
– Of all the stars on the Walk to date, 47% have been awarded in the motion pictures category, 24% in television, 17% in audio recording, 10% in radio, and less than 2% in the live performance category. Averages of twenty new stars are added to the Walk each year.
– The Hollywood Chamber of Commerce credits E. M. Stuart, its volunteer president in 1953, with the original idea for creating a Walk of Fame
– In 2008, a restoration of the Walk was initiated, with costs estimated between $4 million and $4.2 million
– Charlie Chaplin is the only honoree to be selected twice for the same star on the Walk. He was unanimously voted into the initial group of 500 in 1956, but the Selection Committee ultimately excluded him
– In 1978, in honor of his 50th anniversary, Mickey Mouse became the first animated character to receive a star. Other animated recipients are Bugs Bunny,Donald Duck, Woody Woodpecker, Snow White, Tinker Bell, Winnie-the-Pooh, Shrek, Rugrats, and the Simpsons.
– A fee (currently $30,000), payable at time of selection, is collected to pay for the creation and installation of the star, as well as general maintenance of the Walk of Fame.
So can Bollywood also have its own Walk of Fame? Well the answer is YES 🙂 But it is called as “Walk of the Stars”. A Stretch of Bandra bandstand promenade had been used for this project. It has palm imprints of some stars and signature of some others. Prominence has been given to the Kapoor family with the imprints of Kareena , Karisma, Rishi Kapoor, Randhir Kapoor, Neetu Kapoor and Signatures of Prithviraj Kapoor, Raj Kapoor and Shammi Kapoor. Also, there would be six statues including those of Dev Anand, Shammi Kapoor and Raj Kapoor. But not all of Bollywood’s biggest names are backing the project, with a rival walkway, initiated by actor and architect Ritesh Deshmukh, also in the works in the same part of the city.
So would you like to walk on Bollywood’s very own Walk of Fame? Do let us know which star should be on the Walk Fame 🙂
Happy Walking; ) Happy Viewing 😉