It’s time for the International Indian Film Academy Awards, also known as the IIFA Awards. They are presented annually by the International Indian Film Academy to honour both artistic and technical excellence of professionals in Bollywood, the Hindi language film industry. It started its journey way back in 2000 and it is known for having it organized in different countries around the world every year. So is it in competition with the Oscars for its International approach? Well we can talk about it may be in our future posts. This post is all about this year’s Awards. This year they will be revisiting the Lion’s City, also known as Singapore.
The first awards were presented in 2000 at The Millennium Dome in London, United Kingdom. IIFA happens to be the largest media event in India with a viewership of almost 700 million, ranking it among the world’s most watched annual events. So what is special at this year’s IIFA awards? Well you don’t have to think much, iDubba has the answers.
– This year, The Dirty Picture and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara have been nominated in many categories. Another strong contender is Rockstar with Ranbir Kapoor being a strong favourite as best actor
– Film to be showcased at IIFA this year: Shanghai (world premiere), directed by Dibakar Banerjee and starring Abhay Deol, Emraan Hashmi and Kalki Koechlin
– The IIFA Awards 2012 ceremony will be held on June 9 and Shahid Kapoor will host the awards for the first time, along with Farhan Akhtar
– The technical awards, which have already been announced and Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara has won top honours at the IIFA Technical Awards, along with Shahrukh Khan’s RA.One
– Salman Khan returns to IIFA Awards after two years 😉
– Performers include Shahid Kapoor, Ranbir Kapoor, Priyanka Chopra, Sonakshi Sinha and Bipasha Basu
– Actor Rekha will be honoured with the Outstanding Achievement in Indian Cinema award and Filmmaker Ramesh Sippy will be awarded the Outstanding Contribution to Indian Cinema honour. And to add to that Veteran actor-dancer Zohra Segal, who recently celebrated her 100th birthday, will receive the Contribution to 100 years of Indian Cinema award
Are you impressed? Are you excited about these awards? Guess what, Zoya Akhtar’s Zindagi Na Milegi Dobara has received 14 nominations, while Ekta Kapoor’s The Dirty Picture has 13! The excitement does not stop here.
Just have a look at the nominations for the best actor in male and female categories –
Male: Salman Khan, Shahrukh Khan, Hrithik Roshan, Ranbir Kapoor, Amitabh Bachchan and Ajay Devgun
Female: Priyanka Chopra, Kareena Kapoor, Mahie Gill and Kangna Ranaut
So get ready for loads of action, drama, some dazzling performances, not to forget some pj’s and celebration of Indian Cinema’s 100 years this year.