Surprised? So was I when I came to know that there are currently 515 over-the-air and satellite television channels available in India. You read it right,its 515 Channels 🙂 Most of us have grown up watching Doordarshan and few other DD channels as the only entertainment and news source. But as Television started getting popular and became a household necessity, the number of channels have increased drastically. These days its no more just televisi on, it’s satellite TV. Shows at your fingertips as they call it.
The point that we are trying to make is the more the number of channels you have, the more variety you might end up watching. On the other hand some might say that the more are the number of channels, more option the audience get which leads to more confusion. It’s a key line “If you can’t convince someone Confuse them :).”
For example Doordarshan has show dedicated to Music (Chitrahaar, Rangoli, Ek Se Badkar Ek and Superhit Muqabla ) and mythological dramas such as Ramayan and Mahabharat. Now a days there are Channels completely dedicated to Music and Drama serials. We have channels separately for children which airs Cartoon shows 24/7. We have educational channel, travel channel, Channel which airs food show. So now if you have to watch music, you have a long list of options to watch out for. Times have really changed to the extent that now you can sit in your home and order movies (Latest). Thanks to Movies on Demand concept. Not only this, regional channels form a big part of this 515 channels. There are channels practically in every language Hindi, Gujarati, Marathi, Tamil, Bengali and lot more…
Let us try to find out some of the stats that might help you to understand this unique phenomenon
– Did you know that hindi television channels have the highest market share and are available throughout the country
– Presently, Doordarshan operates 21 channels – two All India channels – DD National and DD News, 11 Regional language Satellite Channels (RLSC), four State Networks (SN), an International channel, a Sports Channel DD Sports and two channels Rajya Sabha TV & DD-Lok Sabha for live broadcast of parliamentary proceedings
– There are 13 sports channels that are currently active on Indian Television. Sony Six being the latest entry into this category
– 31 News Channels (Hindi and English) and 18 Regional news… The huge 😉
– 12 Music Channels. Sony Mix being the latest entrant in this category
– 12 Movie Channels
– 12 Channels dedicated to Kids
Well the list of categories is endless and would be difficult to accommodate all of them. From Traditional Antennae to Cable box to Dish TV to now Satellite direct (watch TV from your PC) Television has come a long way. Keeping hectic schedule in mind and also variety of choice of channels in Single family technology is coming up with ways to satisfy one and for all. Now all of us love watching television through the comfort and convenience. How do you love watching television On time shows?? Recorded Shows?? On PC via Satellite or on iDubba 🙂 Do share your viewing mode.
(Source for list of channels:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_television_stations_in_India)