Vruksh ho bade bhale,ho ghane ho bhale,Ek Patra chhah bhi mang mat, mang mat, mang mat,Agnipath, Agnipath Agnipath
There have been news reports that Agneepath (2012) has earned a record Rs 23 crore on Day 1. Awesome stuff.. right !!
Yes its true that Agneepath (1990) was not a box office hit, but its remake has broken all records ie breaking the record of the first day collection of Salman Khan’s ‘Bodyguard’, which had stood at approximately Rs 21 crore. The 1990 cult classic -‘Agneepath’, directed by Mukul Anand, featured Amitabh Bachchan playing the iconic character of Vijay Dinanath Chauhan Kancha, while Danny Denzongpa played Kancha Cheena. Mithun Chakraborty also played a memorable role in the film, produced by Yash Johar. So, does the remake live up to the expectations of those who have watched the original movie??
Well, most of us do end up comparing the two movies and the trend is the not all remake movies have performed well at the box office. So what is that makes this remake different ??? To be honest I too did not have much expectations when I watched the 2012 version. To my surprise there was no ” Krishnan Iyer M.A”, which was played by Mithun Chakraborty. I am sure most of us remember his excellent performance in the movie. Tinu Anand ie Nathu is also missing from the latest version. But why are we comparing the two movies? Is it fair to compare the two movies? But there are loads of new things to look for in the latest movie. There are some brilliant performances by Hrithik Roshan and Sanjay Dutt. Hrithik brings alive the attitude and feel of the orginal Vijay Dinanath Chauhan with his subtle yet powerful performance. On the contrary, Sanjay Dutt has proved himself to be the evilest of the villains, the industry has seen by far. The key difference between AGNEEPATH the original and AGNEEPATH the remake lies in the fact that the remake has been shot extensively in Mandwa, while the original was shot largely in Mumbai. Karan Johar has been able to recreate the magic of AGNEEPATH which his father did more than 20 years ago, and the audience of the present times. The veteran actors Rishi Kapoor and Om Puri have given an amazing performance and have made sure that they leave a mark on the audience. Am i missing something… oh yes the two ladies. Priyanka has done a great job by playing the typical Marathi girl and love interest of Hrithik and Katrina as ‘Chikni Chameli’ introduces you to her wild side.
Here are some interesting facts about Agneepath that might interest you:
- Anand had to shave his head bald to make the age difference between him andAmitabh Bachchan, as he played the role of his uncle. (Agneepath 1990)
- To give Amitabh Bachchan the gangster look, his mouth was stuffed with cotton wool underneath both cheeks, as was Marlon Brando’s in The Godfather (Agneepath 1990)
- The entire film was shot in Diu with a few scenes shot in a mill in Mumbai. Hrithik Roshan and Sanjay Dutt both undertook a strict exercise regime to gain muscle for the film. (Agneepath 2012)
- Mithun Chakraborty’s unique role of Kishnan Iyer was inspired by one of his room mates of his struggling days, before he become a popular film star.(Agneepath 1990)
- The team consisting of around 200 members, had to carry all the materials from Mumbai and walk on the sand with heavy instruments to create the sets three-and-a-half kilometers away from the beach, without any approach road. (Agneepath 2012)
So are you ready to have Vijay Deenanath Chauhan and Kancha Cheena back on the silver screen? Are you ready to revisit Mandwa?
Do let us know your views about this latest remake. And also do let us know which one is your favorite – 2012 or 1990 😉